This is a blog about Chinese language and culture run by Lewis Tatt. It's been online for several years, but I only noticed it recently. It hosts a large number of interesting articles, often focused around language or culture. Many of them have in-depth explanations or discussions, which should be very helpful for self-studying (which is the explicit purpose). Here are some examples of articles (there is no index, but if you scroll down on the front page, you will see all posts):
- Why Does Mandarin Have Two Words For “We”?
- 5 Myths About Chinese Tones
- What to Say When Giving and Taking
- What to say when a Chinese person cuts in the queue
- 5 Things Chinese People Think Are Chinese But Aren’t
There is more, of course, just browse through the list and you should find plenty of interesting posts!